1. Xudong Xu, Ivan Khudyakov and C. Peter Wolk, 1997. Lipopolysaccharide dependence of cyanophage sensitivity and aerobic nitrogen fixation in Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. Journal of Bacteriology, 179: 2884-2891.
2. Xudong Xu, C.Peter Wolk, 2001. Role for hetC in the transition to a non-dividing state during heterocyst differentiation in Anabaena sp. Journal of Bacteriology, 183: 393-396.
3. Yu Wang, Xudong Xu*, 2005. Regulation by hetC of genes required for heterocyst differentiation and cell division in Anabaena sp. Journal of Bacteriology, 187: 8489-8493.
4. Yu Wang, Sigal Lechno-Yossef, Yangmin Gong, Qing Fan, C. Peter Wolk, Xudong Xu*, 2007. Predicted glycosyl transferase genes located outside of the HEP island are required for formation of heterocyst envelope polysaccharide in Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. Journal of Bacteriology, 189: 5372-5378.
5. Wei Zhang, Ye Du, Ivan Khudyakov, Qing Fan, Hong Gao, Degang Ning, C. Peter Wolk and Xudong Xu*, 2007. A gene cluster that regulates both heterocyst differentiation and pattern formation in Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. Molecular Microbiology, 66: 1429-1443.
6. Yang Yang, Chuntao Yin, Weizhi Li, Xudong Xu*, 2008. α-tocopherol is essential for the acquired chill-light tolerance (ACLT) in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803, Journal of Bacteriology, 190: 1554-1560.
7. Haibo Jiang, Renqiu Kong*, Xudong Xu*, 2010. The N-acetylmuramic acid 6-phosphate etherase gene promotes the growth and cell differentiation in cyanobacteria under light-limiting conditions. Journal of Bacteriology, 192: 2239-2245.
8. Xiaoming Tan, Tao Zhu, Si Shen, Chuntao Yin, Hong Gao, Xudong Xu*, 2011. Role of Rbp1 in the acquired chill-light tolerance of cyanobacteria. Journal of Bacteriology, 193: 2675-2683.
9. Hong Gao, and Xudong Xu*, 2012. sll1415, the cyanobacterial NAD kinase gene, is required for photoheterotrophic growth and cellular redox homeostasis in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. Journal of Bacteriology, 194: 218-224.
10. Ye Du, Yan Cai, Shengwei Hou and Xudong Xu*, 2012. Identification of the HetR-recognition sequence upstream of hetZ in Anabaena sp. Strain PCC 7120. Journal of Bacteriology, 194: 2297-2306.
11. Weizhi Li, Hong Gao, Chuntao Yin and Xudong Xu*, 2012. Identification of a novel thylakoid protein gene involved in cold acclimation in cyanobacteria. Microbiology-SGM, 158: 2440-2449.
12. Yun Wang, Xudong Xu*, 2013. Effects of Rbp3 on lipid peroxidation and salt tolerance in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. FEBS Letters, 587: 1446-1451.
13. Xiangzhi Zhu, Qiong Li, Chuntao Yin, Xiantao Fang, Xudong Xu*, 2015. Role of spermidine in overwintering of cyanobacteria. Journal of Bacteriology, 197: 2325-2334.
14. Lang Hu, Renqiu Kong, Xudong Xu*, 2015. Autumnal increase in proportion of toxic Microcystis in Lake Taihu depends more on temperature adaptability than on effects of toxigenicity. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 119: 744-752.
15. Hong Gao, Tao Zhu, Min Xu, Shuai Wang, Xudong Xu, Renqiu Kong*, 2016. pH-dependent gas vesicle formation in Microcystis. FEBS Letters, 590: 3195-3201.
16. Lianglin Zhang, Fang Zhou, Shuai Wang, Xudong Xu*, 2017. Processing of PatS, a morphogen precursor, in cell extracts of Anabaena sp. PCC 7120. FEBS Letters, 591: 751-759.
17. He Zhang, Shuai Wang, Yali Wang, Xudong Xu*, 2018. Functional overlap of hetP and hetZ in regulation of heterocyst differentiation in Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. Journal of Bacteriology, 200: e00707-17.
18. Yali Wang, Yuan Gao, Chao Li, Hong Gao, Cheng-Cai Zhang and Xudong Xu*, 2018. Three substrains of the cyanobacterium Anabaena sp. PCC 7120 display divergence in genomic sequences and hetC function. Journal of Bacteriology, 200: e00076-18.